In a madcap art world obsessed with money, fame and hype, how does an artist driven by justice, defiance and his own singular style thrive? Meet the rebellious New York artist Robert Cenedella, an undeniably provocative and rabble-rousing character. Set to a rollicking soundtrack, Art Bastard not only tours the artist’s life, but his eye-poppingly intricate paintings—peering into every corner to uncover its hidden stories. The result is a visceral art documentary: at once an investigation of a man’s identity, inquiry into what art is and who it’s for and feisty portrait of the ups and downs of a life lived on one’s own terms.
- The Hollywood Reporter - “A showcase for Cenedella’s highly imaginative and thoughtful works.”
- IndieWire - "A quintessential New York story."
- rogerebert.com - 3/4 stars, “Engaging and thought-provoking documentary.”
- Variety - “A lively look at a self-styled superstar of outsider art.”
- The Washington Post - “A compelling indictment of the way commerce drives the art market.”